Lavina Treon was a lifelong Montgomery County resident, born on November 28, 1829 to Robert and Levina Hagan,
"pioneer settlers in the county".
Her husband Frederick H. Treon served in the
Civil War, passed away in 1878, and was buried in Dayton's Woodland Cemetery
Their son William P. Treon was a physician "who was prominent in local affairs, having served two terms as coroner and
one as a member of the board of health. He died at the age of 36, November 15, 1888."
The Treons owned a building in downtown Dayton - the Treon Building, built around 1886 and located at 112 E. Fifth St - where Lavina lived for many years
after the passing of her husband and son. The building was also home of the Booth Furniture Company from as early as 1903
through 1970, until it became the victim of "downtown Urban Renewal condemnation"
When Mrs. Treon passed away in March, 1912, the newspapers noted that she "had devoted her time and much of her means
to charitable work, and accomplished great good in her long life in this city" [clipping].
Her estate benefited the Old Women's Home, the Miami Valley Hospital, the Women's Christian Association, the Young Women's
League, Wooster University, and the Y.M.C.A. [clipping].
An October 1914 "Association Men" newsletter, published by the International Committee of the Y.M.C.A., recognized
Mrs. Levina Treon for her final bequest of $6,716 to the Dayton association "which paid for an 80-acre farm for a
boys' camp" [clipping].
The Dayton Daily News
on March 18, 1914 also recognized Mrs. Treon's significant contribution - "The preliminary payments have been
made from proceeds of the partial settlement of the Treon estate in which the association was one of the beneficiaries.
The use of the fund was first suggested by a lifelong friend of Mrs. Treon. It is considered a safe investment apart
from its value as a camp site" [clipping].
A 1926 article in the Dayton Herald noted a tradition by the Dayton Y.M.C.A. where the graves of former trustees and
friends of the association were decorated. Among them was "Mrs. Lavinia Treon [sic], whose contribution to the association
made it possible to purchase Camp Kern"
Mrs. Treon is buried in Woodland Cemetery next to her husband and son
We thank Mrs. Lavina Treon for her historical contribution to secure a permanent home for Camp Ozone!